Our 2016 conference had some fantastic topics for our workshops being led by specialists in their fields. These included:
|Graeme Ramage||Steven Short|
- Update on the Resuscitation Council (UK) Guidelines
- Practical session on high quality CPR using feedback devices including CPR pucks and skill meter resuscitation manikins (Team Interaction)
‘Dying to Get to Hospital’ – Prehospital use of National Early Warning Scores
Early intervention and response to deranged physiological parameters in the critically ill patient improves outcomes. A National Early Warning Score (NEWS) based on physiological observations has been developed for use throughout the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. A good predictor of mortality and deterioration in inpatients, its performance in the prehospital setting was previously untested.
Elevated NEWS amongst prehospital patients is associated with a higher incidence of adverse outcomes. Calculation of prehospital NEWS may facilitate earlier recognition of deteriorating patients and the validity of the NEWS has now been validated for use in prehospital patients and is being roles out across NHSS.
In this session you will learn how to use NEWS to aid in recognition of the critically ill and deteriorating patient.
|Dr Donald Macgregor|
- This session will cover the following areas; background; early recognition & immediate management; Paediatric Sepsis & SIRS; Feverish illness in under 5’s; clinical case/s
Bones, Breaks & Dislocation
|Dr Brodie Paterson||Dr Luke Regan|
- This session aims to provide Responders with up to date discussion and hands-on teaching of the management of orthopaedic injuries in the field
‘UK Search and Rescue’ Inverness Coastguard SAR Service (non-clinical)
|Capt. John McIntyre|
- This session will consist of a brief overview of the UKSAR project followed by video footage and Q&A’s
NICE Trauma Guidelines & Faculty Consensus Statements
|Dr Colville Laird|
- In this session there will be a brief review of the NICE trauma guidelines and the Faculty of Pre-hospital Care Consensus Statements with specific points that might affect Responders and Members of BASICS Scotland
|Dr Jon McCormack|
- This session will cover the following areas; practical paediatric airway management; IO access and resus fluid administration; analgesia in the emergency setting; open discussion
Circulation Skills Station (Innovation)
|John Pritchard||Dr Catrina Hewitt|
- Incorporating the EZ-IO system demonstrated by Eden Medical; haemorrhage control with pelvic splint + traction splint for femoral fracture and discussion on tranexamic acid