Medical Emergencies & Resuscitation within Dental Practice
All Dental Practitioners and Dental Care Professionals may have to deal with medical emergencies. Fortunately, these are rare. The most common problems are namely, Syncope (faints), Hypoglycaemia, Angina, Seizures, Choking, Asthma and Anaphylaxis. Myocardial infarction and Cardio-pulmonary arrest are more uncommon.
Despite such events happening so infrequently, published guidance from the General Dental Council (GDC) in 2005 stated clearly that:
Medical emergencies can occur at any time, and so:
- All members of staff need to know their role in the event of a medical emergency.
- Members of staff need to be trained in dealing with such an emergency
- Dental teams should practice together regularly in simulated emergency situations
To help dental teams deal with emergencies, BASICS Scotland has developed a course specifically tailored for dentists and the dental team. The content includes CPR in-line with UK Resuscitation Council’s guidance on dental emergencies as well as the use of equipment in-line with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the General Dental Council (GDC) requirements.The course can be offset against core CPD requirements and certification will be issued as verifiable CPD evidence. The course duration is 2 hours dependent upon requirements and training can commence at a time to suit your practice.The course is delivered in-house to allow us to give advice on how to adapt to your specific environment and layout. Dates again can be tailored to suit your requirements.
This course aims to:
1. Help Dental Practices reduce the cost of training with fair pricing and exact quotes.
2. Reduce stress to Dentists Practice managers with relevant information and reminders.
3. Control the operational burden by being flexible with training times, dates and locations.
4. Reduce concerns of Dentists/Practice Managers by training to the highest standards.
5. Create a positive atmosphere for staff by ensuring training is enjoyable, interactive, useful and usable.
Feedback from previous courses:
“Best CPR training I have had to date!”
“Better and more succinct than other medical emergencies talks that I’ve been on”
“Very enjoyable, humour made course more memorable”